Monday, March 30, 2009

Caroline Palmer's Memory and Music Studies and the Memory Task

I was fascinated by both of these links (Caroline Palmer's memory in music research and the memory task test) and the connection between them.I was more drawn to these links because in acting I was always fascinated in some way of how we would memorize lines and how the techniques of memorizing lines varied with different performers. Some people worked well with saying lines over and over to themselves or running lines with someone, other people didn't do that as much. But the one thing that I noticed, that everyone had in common, was that if they had no connection with what they were saying they had a difficult time remembering the lines.Actors had different ways of memorizing their lines, and I've wondered if this would be the same way with musicians and memorizing songs and having associations with sections in a piece. And I also took that memory task experiment and got almost all of them correct. Sometimes I think that because of always practicing memory and memorizing lines, that has made me be able to memorize things pretty easily. Is memory in our brain like a muscle that the more we use it the better we are at memorization as time goes by? Maybe this is how it is for musicians as well. The more experienced someone is and the longer they have been using memory, the more able they are when it comes to learning new pieces, whether it is the notes themselves or the pauses betweeen them. I know with memorization of words, I think association starts happening as second nature after a while. You start associating things to help you remember the sequence. And almost all of the time, if you are strongly connected somehow to the words you are saying you will remember them. But if you have no association or connection to them, you will easily forget them.
Last week I went to see a piano concert and was thinking about this music memory thing also. And I supposed that them learning all of these complicated pieces was alot like learning words and sequences. The more you practice, the songs will be ingrained in your memory, but they must also have some kind of associations to feelings and memories in the notes as well as they play them. Anyway, I think there are a few factors in the memorization of music and words, and not all of it is just about repitition. But I do believe that the more you use memory, the easier it gets to memorize and learn patterns or words in less time.

2 comments:

Hee Young Park said...

I heard about "Caroline Palmer's Memory" before. I found the part of article Caroline palmer said,“We found that musicians remembered music better when they heard it during learning, regardless of whether they heard the music when they replayed it later,” Palmer said, “It wasn’t important whether conditions matched during learning and recall.” I agree with Caroline's memory statement.When I m listening to music, I m easy to memorize my works. Especially it's a slow and quiet. I think it helps your brain active.Brain activity helps to memorize the memory part of your brain. Anyways it is good to know when you do your work~

Mark Nonato said...

Very Interesting topic Renee, well from experience of being a musician, it takes lots of practice, which is why when you are a musician you have band practice and rehearsals to make sure everything goes right when you perform, but it is weird, because as you said it does eventually become second nature, for example, I can sing a song but sometimes I forget the lyrics or the rhythm, but when I start playing my guitar, or I hear the background music I can remember everything, it is so weird. But after not playing guitar for a while, it's surprising how much you forget, so practically it is a thing where when you do it all the time, it becomes second nature and you are able to memorize it and remember without even noticing and sometimes when you are trying to play a song or learn a song, you can't think too much about every note, or every lyric to the song, it becomes so overwhelming that you are bound to mess up, it all just comes natural when you relax and just do it and you just feel the music and it comes out naturally. Well that's from my own experience.