Sunday, May 9, 2010

Believing what we read

For hundreds of years, there was a debate as to whether belief of something is immediate or if it comes later, after processing the information. Members of the Department of Psychology at the University of Texas performed an experiment where they tried to figure this out. The experiments had to do with reading about two robberies and making judgments as to how long the robber was in jail. There were statements in the stories that were false, and the readers were told to ignore the statements in red type, because they were the false ones. Half of the participants were distracted while reading the stories, and wouldn't have as much time to realized that the statement was written in red ink (the rest of the story being written in green). The findings of the experiment was that those were were distracted didn't process the fact that the statements were in red.

Long story short, it proved that as human beings, we accept things to be true then start to process to see if it really is true. Basically, believe first, ask questions later. I think that we would like to think that we process then make decisions as human beings, but this proves that we don't. I find this to be true in my life, I hear a story, or an opinion of something (I'm referencing politics), and it's usually when I am repeating it later to someone else, that I reflect and start to doubt it's truthfulness. The biggest thing that comes to my mind to do with these findings is, juries in court cases. Does it matter which side of the case presents first? Are people more likely to believe the person who goes first?

1 comment:

allie said...

Agreed. It can sound good at first glance, but it's not till you put it into your own words--and through different channels in the brain--that you come to fully grasp the pros and cons of an issue. Even writing some of these blog entries, I would read an article, and be like, "Ok, ok, I buy that. I'm into it." Then when I went to write my entry and had to think of things on MY own terms, that sometimes I would realize, "Wait a minute, I don't think this is everything I hoped it would be."

What about those people that seem to be skeptics about everything though? Are they just programmed to believe in not believing? I definitely think there are people that do the opposite of what you say--"believe first, ask questions later"--Is that just circumstantial? Paranoia? I don't know, it would be an interesting other side to look at.