Monday, May 3, 2010

Therapy is Twice as Effective in Clients' Native Language

The main point of this article, that psychological therapy is more effective in the client's native language, seems like a very obvious one, and the article is quite short, simply stating the research results and listing a few findings. However, I think it calls into our attention that linguistic differences need to be taken with a bit more weight when trying to help somebody in any ways. In addition, since most of the research on psychological interventions and therapy in the American clinics are derived from the context of a Western cultural background, it might indicate something completely different to someone from outside of this Western world.
I remember when I first started to learn English in an American highschool, I simply avoided showing that I had an issue or an illness, because I did not want to explain something in English. In order to reach someone to help them with sensitives issues dealing with their mental wellbeing, I think it's important to make them feel comfortable enough to share their symptoms and accept recommendations. To be able to do so, it's probably better to communicate with them and actually have them understand.
Another problem I see in relation to this article is that often, in other countries, metal illness isn't diagnosed or treated as professionally as it is done in United States. Some places just dismiss the ill people as crazies or haunted by the supernatural. So I believe it is of importance to set base of psychological diagnosis and therapy on international lands.

1 comment:

ldakai said...

Since we have been talking about therapy and treatments so much , I think this article is highly relevant. I can completely see why knowing the language and culture of a person helps with the treatment.

Not only does it help the patient because it is easier, the person giving the treatment can better understand the patient's needs and problems. So often I hear about people judging someone who doesn't speak English as well. People see them as immature, rather than thinking about the inability to express themselves properly in English. It would make sense that the patients would react better knowing that someone understands them, and therefore would probably be more willing to try new treatment ideas.