Sunday, February 6, 2011

Can you control your dreams?
This article discusses the subject of lucid dreaming. Lucid dreaming is when the person dreaming is aware that they are dreaming, and can control their actions and the environment around them. The article mentions a man, Jared Loughner, who was responsible for a shooting at a supermarket in Arizona. On youtube, Jared talks about "conscious dreaming" and also describes "a blurring between waking life and reality." Many people practice lucid dreaming, and there are many methods for trying to have lucid dreams, but when a person can not tell the difference between dreams and reality, it can be a sign of mental illness. Lucid dreaming is not a new discovery, Tibetan Buddhists have been practicing something similar to lucid dreaming for more than 1000 years, and believe it can lead to a "purer form of consciousness." Lucid dreaming is really fascinating to me. I have had dreams where I was aware that I was asleep and dreaming, but I was either not in full control of what was going on, or I'd wake up soon after I realized I was asleep. I kept a dream journal for a while because this is said to help lead to lucid dreams, but also because dreams themselves are also very interesting to me. Not much is known about what causes dreams and what they mean, but many people look for symbolism in dreams to learn more about themselves and their lives. There are many theories about dreams, but not much is certain. Dreaming has always interested me. When you're sleeping, your brain produces vivid images, and they are usually pretty interesting. Scary dreams are often scarier than any scary movies you could see in a movie theatre. No one knows for sure why we dream, or what effect it has on us, but what is certain is that there is a lot left to learn about the subject of dreaming.

No comments: