Monday, February 21, 2011

The Internet's Creation of Self Involvement

In today’s society the Internet and technology is becoming increasingly vital. However, all Apple applications and systems begin with the letter “I”. This question this article raise is whether or not this constant use of “I” is making our population increasingly narcissistic? Since “virtual and digital technology aims to satisfy our every last need” it would appear that we are becoming more self-involved however, I do not believe that we are. As a student who uses the Internet everyday, I do not believe that I control the Internet. Although I am able to control what I look at and how I use it, I do not take the “I” personally.

Since this electronic obsession used by our entire culture, if the “I” factor truly produced an effect, all members of society would become increasingly self involved. Through my experiences, I do not feel that the Internet makes people feel any sense of importance. Perhaps when the Internet first came out and was exclusive to the wealthy, they most likely felt a sense of pride. However, now that it is widespread, no one thinks they own the Internet, they nearly see it as a helpful tool. Although this is an attempt to portray the existentialism, narcissism, from experience I know that the Internet is not what causes people to be self -centered.

1 comment:

jjbs said...
This comment has been removed by the author.