Sunday, February 20, 2011

Leadership roles and racial bias

This article is focused on Asian Americans. It states that even though the number of racial minorities in work forces are growing, current data shows that very few percentage of Asian Americans are in leadership positions, and surveys done on employees and students suggest that Asian Americans are not suitable for leadership positions, but are better at technical positions than Caucasians Americans.

The surveys say that many people answered that leadership needs an outgoing and charismatic person, which many people associate more with Caucasian Americans because of "shyness" that many of the Asians show. As an Asian studying in US, I too was very shy because of my language barrier. Even now, language isn't much of a problem for me, but the shyness is still present. When I look back, I wonder if it would have been different if people were more welcoming or encouraging when I was having problem with English when I first got here.

Like how the article says "The awareness is there for African Americans and for gender issues, but not for Asian Americans," I think it is time for people to look at other minorities closely, without prejudice.

Jung Soo Park

No comments: