Sunday, March 6, 2011

Big brothers are more likely to bully siblings

This article explains how a survey done to 195 children, aging from 10-12 years old show a result that a child with an older brother was likely to be bullied at home (boys were more likely to bully their younger brother or sister.
Though I'm a big brother back home, I don't really recall myself bullying my sister, although I wanted a big brother, and was jealous of my friends that did. However, when I said that to them, all of them said it's not that cool as it looks because they would bully them a lot.
To me, this result seem convincing, though it doesn't apply to me that much, which might just be because I had to take care of my sister when both of my parents were working during the day. And seeing a lot of my friends that have older sisters are getting along well, it seems Dr. Menesini's opinion about older sisters being more responsible and protective toward their younger siblings where as older brothers are more hierarchical.
I wonder if this has to do with children around age 10, realizing their differences in genders and how boys and girls are realizing their masculine and feminine personalities.

Jung Soo Park

No comments: