Saturday, February 25, 2012

Prisonexp Question 4

4. If you were a prisoner, would you have been able to endure the experience? What would you have done differently than those subjects did? If you were imprisoned in a "real" prison for five years or more, could you take it?

If I were a prisoner in the prison experiment, I would not have been able to endure it. I imagine that I would obey the prison guards' command for the first one or two days thinking it was just for experimental purpose. However, as the guards became to act unreasonable and bullied me, I would feel unfairly victimized, and would tell the guards that they were going too far, since I was not a real criminal, and it was just a simulation. If my complaint did not improve the situation, I would get stressed and disobey their orders, and finally I would become like the Prisoner #8612, who acted crazy and showed uncontrollable rage and emotional disturbance and had to be released.
However, if I were a real criminal and imprisoned in a real prison, it would be different. I am sure it would be very tough to live in a real prison, but unlike acting a prisoner in an experiment, if I did something wrong and felt regret for it, and deserved to be imprisoned, I should have to take it whatever the sentence was. But, the case of Abu Ghraib is too extreme... If I were a prisoner in Abu Ghraib, I would not be able to endure all the tortures and humiliation, and might kill myself.

No comments: