List the Basic Psychology Guidelines, and explain why they might be important.
1. Ask and be willing to wonder
- It is important for a psychologist to have a scientist curiosity, because like any other science, no breakthrough or understanding will come from close-mindedness.
2.Define the problem
- Pretty straight forward, it is essential for a scientist to define a problem. This gives them the ability to block out all information that is irrelevant and focus on achieving their goal, to solve the problem.
3. Examine the evidence
- It is a common mistake for scientist to ignore the facts and proceed on assumptions, this is extremely dangerous. It can lead to completely inaccurate conclusions, and should be avoided at all cost.
4. Analyze assumptions and Biases
- When listening and observing people it is important to remember that even though you are being unbiased, they might not be. It is important to remember to consider all possibilities, that there might be biases and assumptions that you did not take into consideration.
5. Avoid emotional reasoning
- It is extraordinarily difficult for a person to emotionally detach themselves form a situation. Even more for someone who is researching something they care very deeply about. However, it is extremely important to observe a situation completely unbiased. The more of your emotion you bring into a situation the more inaccurate your conclusion will be.
6. Don't oversimplify
- Sometimes a more complex answer is the more accurate one. When you take a complex reaction and try to break it down into is most simplistic parts, often you end up with a conclusion that is not as precise and a longer well thought out conclusion.
7. Consider other interpretations
- Your answer may not always be the most correct. There may be other and have taken more into account, or be viewing the problem from a different angle. Its important to keep your mind open, to all possibilities and accept other thoughts. It will help make you a better scientist.
8. Tolerate uncertainty
- Psychology is a science, and like all the other sciences, there is nothing that is set in stone. Ideas and interpretations are always open to change and review, so don't get set in your ways. Being opened minded and flexible will help to improve you in ways you hadn't even considered.