Monday, April 23, 2012

Negative verses Positive Memories

Just last week I had a critique for all the work I have done over the corse of the year. Although my feedback was positive and negative I seemed to only remember the negative. I kept replaying what the critiques said in my head and could only focus on what I could of improved. I remember recieving a few compliments but felt like that didn't matter. It turns out have people tend to remember negative memories over positive ones in general. Negative and positive memories are stored in different areas of the brain. When the brain stores a negative memories it generates more thinking and therefore is a more complex process for the brain to make. The following article gives a number of experimental test given out to see what people remember.
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/03/24/your-money/why-people-remember-negative-events-more-than-positive-ones.html?pagewanted=1&_r=1&ref=memory

Lia Branning-Chen

No comments: