Friday, January 25, 2013

Why waiting is torture


The article I found, titled Why Waiting is Torture, discussed the distress people endure while simply waiting in a line. The author referred to many ways in which companies handle this. They deploy strategies to soften wait times like providing time estimations and informing customers of delays. Stores often place impulse buys around lines in order to get customers to pick them up to relieve the stress of waiting. Some companies like Disney over-estimate wait times in order to please their guests.

What makes line-waiting unpleasant according to the article is the boredom, stress and the sensation of life slipping away. I have found personally that when I am forced into an idle state I get annoyed. The annoyance can be dispersed; I found those psychological techniques to be interesting.

Why waiting is torture NYTimes.com

No comments: