Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Video Game Addiction

An addiction is a persistent behavioral pattern marked by physical and/or psychological dependency that causes negative impacts to the quality life of a human being. Addictions are frequently linked to substance abuse, but, in this case, I am talking about Video Game Over-usage. From my experience, I've played video games myself since for the past few years. Now I've never considered myself to being an video game addict, but there were many times where I couldn't stop playing and kept playing until I finished off the game. There were many times when I played non stop and through out the whole day without realizing how time flew by. After a while I felt like I wasn't the same since I wasn't very social anymore and I wasn't as confident anymore due to the lack of socializing with people. Sometimes, when I wasn't happy or feeling down I tended to rely on playing video games to ease the stress. Other times I didn't feel like being dealt with the reality so I played games just so I didn't have to think about any problems etc. But then later on I started to realize that the I started to feel more and more lonely and that playing video games did not really help me overcome stress. In fact, it built up more inside and really affected my social habits. Then it hit me and I realized I didn't have much a life, and that I needed to stop with this addiction. I knew I had to do something because it was also affecting the ones around me and didn't like the fact that I was being a burden to them. Although now my symptoms got much better and now I don't have that problem as much as I did before. I still however play video games, but I know when to quit when I need to and play only for amusement. It was really fun playing video games but it was one of my bad experience in life. I feel that there are many people out there with these addictions like the one I had myself. One can help themselves and themselves only, they just have to realize that there are much more fun experiences in life than to rely on playing video games.

No comments: