Sunday, January 27, 2013

The Nose Knows- Why people's sense of scent effects our association with others

I came across this article the other day and thought it was interesting for people in this new technological generation.  We have become more sterile and cover up our scents for the most part.  It's understandable because people don't want to smell bad; nobody would like that.  This association of smell also breeches into a pheromone level.  I was always wondering how strong these effects really were on our interactions and relations with people.

I feel like they should have added a more about the practical use of the nose like seeing if things have spoiled.  I know people that make fun of others for sniffing food to make sure it hasn't spoiled.  I asked them if they have ever drank spoiled milk and they have said, "Yes."  The others that agree with me haven't because they don't find using their nose to be wrong.  I  wonder if our modern society will start losing the majority of this sense, or if our relations will be founded on other non-instinctual variables.  We talk to people over the phone, skype, or just Facebook chat.  Perhaps we are disconnecting ourselves from people we may like, but might not ever know.

Here's the link:
http://www.psychologytoday.com/articles/201212/mind-your-body-the-underrated-sense



No comments: